Lunar Rover – LUVMI-X
The Lunar Volatiles Mobile Instrumentation (LUVMI) rover family provides a smart, low mass, innovative, modular and extendable platform designed to accommodate payloads and provide payload mobility on the moon. It is tele-operated with optional autonomous modes to allow for faster traverses and for safety when entering Permanently Shadowed Regions.
The LUVMI rover is a four-wheel drive, holonomic platform thanks to independent wheel steering. It features an active chassis system able to adjust the ride height from zero (ground contact) to 30cm. It is capable of climbing up to 30 degree slopes and clearing up to 30cm obstacles. The active suspension allows fitting the LUVMI rover in a compact volume when stowed, making it compatible with a wide range of lunar landers. In its reference configuration, LUVMI features the following science instruments – including:
- A mass spectrometer
- A sub surface sampling device
- Two 3D light field cameras
LUVMI-X is an evolution of LUVMI that provides more payload accommodation and deployment capabilities, including deployment of small payloads, all within a lower mass and volume. In its reference configuration, LUVMI-X features a full set of volatiles science instruments – as well as cube payloads, including:
- A mass spectrometer
- A laser induced breakdown spectroscopy system (LIBS)
- A radiation detector
LUVMI-X provides a high ratio of rover to payload mass (targeting 1 to 1). Payloads connect to the rover via a standardized interface for power and data transfer. Payloads are accommodated from 1U upwards in multiples of 10cm:
- Mounted payloads, fixed to the rover platform.
- Droppable payloads, softly deposited on the soil allowing for data collection away from rover related disturbances (vibratory, magnetic …).
- Propellable payloads will be projected up to 50m from the rover reaching otherwise inaccessible areas.
- Lunar exploration (polar or equatorial)
- Payload cubes deployment and recover
- Prospecting of volatiles and other resources as precursor of ISRU
- As a scout or secondary platform supporting operations of a larger rover (or lunar EVA activities)
Purchase accommodation of your payload on LUVMI and receive lunar surface delivery and on surface mobility. Command and monitor your payload from your own facilities. Purchase a rover and allow us to adapt and configure it for your specific needs.
Rover Type Power Envelope Communications LUVMI Onboard solar panels generate up to 180W of which more than 50% are available for payloads. Power cells may store up to 1750Wh of power. 28V nominal, 12V and 5V available upon request. Stowed 850 x 920 x 450mm • Deployed 1400 x 920 x 800mm Near Side: Direct To Earth, high speed link (1-2 Mbps) • Far Side: Dependent on Relay Satellite LUVMI-X Onboard solar panels generate up to 140W of which more than 50% are available for payloads. Power cells may store up to 1400Wh. 28V nominal, 12V and 5V available upon request. Stowed 850 x 770 x 350mm • Deployed 1140 x 770 x 800mm Near Side: Direct To Earth, high speed link (1-2 Mbps) • Far Side: Dependent on Relay Satellite