To be a member of a team working on the exploitation of the Belgian User Support and Operations Centre (B.USOC) in Brussels (Uccle), Belgium. B.USOC is a mission control centre from where scientific instruments on-board the International Space Station (ISS) are monitored and controlled, and science data received and processed, intermittently operating 24/7.
The assignment includes:
- The preparation of the operations surrounding scientific experiment execution on payloads on-board the ISS:
- Developing and documenting operations concepts, operations procedures for ground and crew, and various related operations products
- Work with ground models of the involved payloads
- Management of all ground systems (IT and communications) and data flows related to the on-going experiments.
And, not least, during execution of the scientific experiments:
- Staffing the control centre in shifts, responsible of operating the relevant payloads as part of the ISS ground operations network.
All the work is done in close collaboration with various engineering, operations and science teams throughout Europe, involving occasional travel, mainly in Europe. The assignment involves attending training courses and workshops related to the USOC systems, payloads and the ISS subsystems. Operations simulations are also regularly organized to train the Operators for their tasks, to maintain proficiency, and to enhance teamwork skills.